Let's face it: hiking is not much fun when your dog is pulling you down the path. In Humboldt County, home to the tallest trees on Earth, both of you can break free from the leash. Here are the areas where you and yours can enjoy a fragrant scamper among the redwoods or along the gorgeous Redwood Coast.
Managed by Humboldt County Parks – (707) 445-7651
- Arcata: Mad River County Park
- Ferndale: Centerville Beach County Park.
- McKinleyville: Clam Beach County Park.
- Trinidad: Big Lagoon County Park; Luffenholtz Beach
- County Park; Moonstone Beach County Park
Managed by Bureau of Land Management – (707) 825-2300
- Eureka: Samoa Dunes Recreation Area; Headwaters Forest Reserve.
- Ferndale: Lost Coast Headlands
- Loleta: Mike Thompson Wildlife Area, South Spit Humboldt Bay
- Manila: Mal-e'l Dunes (South).
- Shelter Cove: King Range National Conservation Area.
Managed by McKinleyville Community Services District – (707) 839-9003
- McKinleyville: Hiller Dog Park and adjoining Mad River Bluffs.
Managed by US Forest Service – (707) 442-1721
- Six Rivers National Forest
Managed by Friends of the Dunes – (707) 444-1397
- Manila: Humboldt Coastal Nature Center.
Thanks for Friends of the Arcata Marsh (FOAM) for this information. They remind you to protect Humboldt's wild creatures for all to enjoy by keeping your dog under control.Posted on: June 29, 2022