Monterey Bay Aquarium - Photo Credit: Håkan Dahlström (CC)
by Dave Kendrick, Co-founder DogTrekker.com
A reader recently mentioned that as part of our in-depth coverage of destinations around the state, we should provide tips that locals use to have fun with their dogs in their home towns or regions. Since Cannery Row and Monterey County are DogTrekker.com’s backyard playground, we thought this would be a good time to begin sniffing out how to navigate the local scene.
Tip 1: The Monterey Bay Aquarium on Cannery Row is a top attraction for many visitors. Dogs aren’t allowed inside, but that shouldn’t stop you from bringing your pup on a visit to the area. Here are some ways to do that:
• Short-term boarding: a seven-minute walk from the aquarium is Casa de Amigos Animal Hotel, where you can leave you pup (as long as she’s up to date on her vaccines) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for a flat fee of $25. Other sitting services are listed here.
• Maya, DogTrekker.com’s Director of Barketing, loves to be pampered while her parents are checking out the latest aquarium exhibits. Close by is a full-service Petco groomer. Others can be found on DogTrekker.com and on the DogTrekker mobile app.
Tip 2: The Central Coast is a great place to visit in spring. The weather is good, the crowds are light and the dining is superb. Because there’s still the chance of an occasional storm or chilly weather, DogTrekker.com has found three excellent indoor places to eat with your pup:
• Dining room at Carmel Valley Ranch: in addition to a large, dog-friendly outside area, the hallway tables between the lobby and the dining room welcome customers with four-legged friends.
• Lobby at Monterey Tides: just off Highway 1 as you enter Monterey from the north, dogs are welcome with their parents in this hotel’s colorful lobby overlooking bay and ocean views.
• While the outside patio at Carmel’s Cypress Inn is dog-friendly, so is the bar area off the lobby, where a full menu is served alongside well behaved leashed dogs.
Photo Credit: Håkan Dahlström (CC)