Toxic Algae Bloom in Lake Chabot

Toxic Algae Bloom in Lake Chabot

Lake Chabot
The Contra Costa Times has reported that three dogs have died after they were exposed to lake water in Lake Chabot Regional Park. Due to the drought, the lake is fouled by toxic algae

A chocolate Labrador the first week in February after being exposed to lake water. Two dogs died in December as well, East Bay Regional Park officials confirmed. The algae produces toxins that attack the nervous system and liver of dogs.

The park district has long banned people and dogs from wading or swimming in Lake Chabot because it's an emergency backup drinking water source for the East Bay Municipal Utility District. Some dogs, however, go for a drink or a swim.

Algae blooms have come and gone in regional park lakes over the years, with rain and runoff flushing away the impurities. But the drought stoked concentrations to toxic levels last year at Lake Temescal in Oakland and in the northwestern section of Lake Chabot. Activities such as wading and swimming are still banned there.

Elsewhere in California, blue-algae blossoms occurred last year in the Copco Reservoir, on the Klamath River; and the Silverlake Reservoir, near Crestline, in Southern California.  

You can read the entire story here.

Posted on: February 5, 2015

Download Our Free Mobile App

© 2018 DogTrekker.com