Has your pup been begging you to take them on vacation? We know the feeling. Lucky for you, California is full of incredible places that welcome dogs with open arms. From beach towns to national parks, there’s something for every pup and their human. So grab your leash and get ready to explore! Here are the five most dog-friendly places in California.
1. Carmel-by-the-Sea – This coastal town is the perfect spot for a weekend getaway with your pup. With leash laws that are easy to follow, plenty of pet-friendly accommodations and restaurants, as well as beaches where dogs can roam off-leash, this charming destination can’t be missed! Plus, you’ll never run out of things to do here; from shopping at quaint boutiques and tasting local wines to exploring the iconic 17 Mile Drive, your pup will love it here just as much as you do!
2. Yosemite National Park – A trip to Yosemite National Park is a must if you want to experience nature with your pup. While only certain areas are open to pets (such as paved roads, picnic areas, and campgrounds), it’s still an amazing place to explore together! Just make sure your furry friend stays on a leash at all times while visiting this majestic escape in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
3. Big Bear Lake – If outdoor adventure is more your speed, Big Bear Lake in Southern California is just what you need. With over 50 miles of trails ranging from easy strolls along the lake shoreline to challenging hikes up nearby mountainsides, there’s something for everyone here—including pups! And don’t worry; mountain air tends to make our four-legged friends extra sleepy so they won’t be too worn out after a day of exploring!
4. Huntington Beach – Who doesn’t love a good beach day? Huntington Beach offers seven miles of sand for humans and their canine companions alike—just make sure Fido stays on his leash! After a long day spent digging in the sand and playing fetch in the waves, you’ll find plenty of pet-friendly restaurants around town where both you and your pup can refuel before heading home for the night.
5. San Diego – Last but certainly not least is San Diego—the ultimate dog paradise! With its sandy beaches and year-round temperate climate (not too hot or cold!), there’s no shortage of ways to have fun here with Fido by your side. From visiting Balboa Park’s famous Spanish Village Art Center (which welcomes well-behaved dogs) or taking a ride on one of San Diego’s harbor cruises (dogs allowed!), this city won’t disappoint either one of you!
All dogs deserve an adventure once in a while—so why not take yours on vacation? From coastal towns like Carmel-by-the Sea to world-class cities like San Diego, California has something for everyone—including our four-legged friends! So pack up those bags (and bowls!) and head out on an adventure that both you and Fido will never forget. Bon voyage!