Indian Tree Open Space
Local Phone: (415) 473-2816
Marin County Parks Open Space Leash Policy: Dogs on leash are welcome to enjoy trails. Dogs are allowed off-leash under strict voice control on fire protection roads. Please follow posted rules.
This 230 acre preserve west of Novato is not heavily visited, making it all the more enjoyable for you and your four-legged friend.
Several trails branch from the trailhead to ascend through shaded woodlands and through clusters of massive redwoods to a ridgetop offering sweeping views of the surrounding countryside.
This is a great preserve to visit in summer as its trails are largely shaded and its hilltops cooled by fog.
Fillmore at Indian Tree Open Space
Dogs share the trails with horses; please leash your dog and move to the side of the trail immediately when equestrians approach.
Cycling is not allowed in this preserve, so there's no need to worry about collisions.
Recent trail work has replaced a rutted farm road with the meandering Big Trees Trail and improvements also have been made to Ship's Mast Trail, which traverses a redwood grove near the mountaintop.
From Highway 101 in Novato, take the Atherton /San Marin exit and turn west on San Marin, which will become Sutro Avenue after the Novato Boulevard intersection. Turn right at Vineyard Road and look for the trailhead where the pavement turns to a dirt road.
• Parking: Plenty
• Fee: None
• Water: Bring your own
• Best time of year for this hike: Great year round
• Degree of difficulty: Moderate
• Distance: 5.5 miles
• Hours of operation: Sunrise to sunset
• Leash rule: Dogs under reliable voice control are allowed off leash on the fire roads.
Help us keep this trail beautiful and dog-friendly:
• Always follow the posted rules as they may have changed
• If in off-leash area, keep your dog under voice command
• Respect and protect wildlife and habitats
• Pack in and pack out, leaving only paw prints
Marin County, open space, parks, trails, dogs, off-leash, voice control, trails