Photo courtesy of Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
A winter visit to Greater Palm Springs is more than a change of scenery: it’s a change of mind—for your four-legged buddy as well as for you. Your visit will be greatly enhanced by choosing a hotel where you and yours will be welcomed, pampered and attended to at every turn. Here are five that are raising the bar.
1. The Saguaro, Palm Springs: A boutique property characterized by a vibrant splash of mid-century color and style, the Saguaro is one of the only hotels in the region that welcomes pets of any size with no extra fee or deposit. It’s a great launching pad for walks in vintage neighborhoods or quick access to hiking trails just minutes away.
2. La Quinta Resort & Club, La Quinta: Check it out: 45 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds for eye-candy strolls and a PAWS program that welcomes canine guests from the moment they arrive. Lodging is in casitas and suites with private walled patios so you won’t have to worry when Lucy needs to do her business. Dog beds, bowls, treats and activity suggestions are included in the rates, with dog massage available should you desire an extra degree of pampering. All three restaurants have dog-friendly patio dining and all rooms are dog-friendly, with a fee of $100 covering the entire stay for up to two dogs per room.
3. Avalon Hotel & Bungalows, Palm Springs: Whether you choose a hotel room or one of 13 Spanish-style bungalows scattered about the 4-acre, beautifully manicured grounds, your pup will enjoy a plush bed, feeding bowls and a warm welcome. Best of all, a portion of the $75 per-stay pet fee is donated to Best Friends Animal Society, whose mission is to help bring about a time when there are no more homeless pets.
4. Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa, Rancho Mirage: As at every Westin, your dog gets a warm welcome here (think Heavenly Beds, feeding bowls, special treats and a pooch menu at dog-friendly Pinzimini and Fireside Lounge patio tables). But if you come sans-dog and are interested in adopting, you can do it right on site. A partnership between the resort and Animal Samaritans, a no-kill shelter in Thousand Palms, makes the hotel lobby a temporary home for a dog in need of a family. Caretakers introduce them to guests, searching for the perfect match. So far, more than 120 dogs have been adopted! Dog-friendly rooms are on the ground floor and have patios; fee is $100 per dog per stay.
5. Kimpton Rowan, Palm Springs: The first full-service hotel to be built downtown in decades, this 154-room, six-story boutique property welcomes dogs of all makes and models at no extra charge. Beds, bowls and other extras are provided, and Rover is welcome to hang out at your table as you enjoy sunset cocktails at the rooftop High Bar. Dogs can also join you in the lobby at the evening wine reception.