Hite Cove Trail
El Portal, California
Local Phone: (559) 297-0706
NOTE: this trail is currently closed. We will continue to monitor the situation and will update our page as things change.
• Trailhead is at Savage's Trading Post on Highway 140 eight miles west of El Portal.
This 3.5-mile (one way) hike along the South Fork of the Merced River is spectacular in early spring, when nearly 60 varieties of wildflowers can be found. Many consider this the one of the best easy wildflower walks in the Sierra.
The first 3/4 mile of the trail passes through private land, so please be respectful.
• Restrooms and water can be found at the trail head.
• Camping is permitted at the cove.
• This is a hiker-only trail; bicycles and horses are not permitted.
• Please pick up after your dog.
• Dogs need to be leashed or under strict voice control at all times.
dog friendly, pet friendly, dogtrekker.com, hike, trail, creek, cove, swim, rail trail