Ice House Road, Eldorado National Forest
What you see at Bassi Falls depends on when you go.
In spring, the melt-water cascade tumbles violently 109 feet over a jumble of polished granite boulders.
In summer, the flow shrinks to just a trickle, but wildflowers provides visual compensation.
The hike is an easy half-hour walk/scramble from the parking area, which fills up in summer by mid-morning.
Scramble up the trail to the left of the falls to reach the top, a series of pools and opportunity to wander as far as you like along Bassi Creek.
This is an easy, family-friendly hike, and it's OK for your dog to be unleashed so long as she's under voice control, doesn't chase wildlife and doesn't bother other hikers.
• From Highway 50 about 20 miles east of Placerville, turn north (left) onto Icehouse Road and enter the Crystal Basin Recreation Area.
• Drive about 17 miles to Union Valley Reservoir and turn right onto an unmarked road just after crossing the bridge over Big Silver Creek (across from the campground).
• Drive .2 miles to a junction, turn left, drive .8 miles to another junction, turn right and drive another .7 miles to the trailhead.
In all, you will drive 1.7 on dirt roads. High-clearance vehicles are recommended but may not be necessary if the road has recently been graded.
Help us keep this trail beautiful and dog-friendly:
• Always follow the posted rules as they may have changed
• If in off-leash area, keep your dog under voice command
• Respect and protect wildlife and habitats
• Pack in and pack out, leaving only paw prints
dogtrekker.com, dog-friendly, waterfall, crystal basin recreation area, SMUD, trail, hike