Bon Tempe Lake
Fairfax, California 94930
Local Phone: (415) 945-1455
The Bon Tempe trailhead is the starting gate to many hikes surrounding Bon Tempe Lake, one of seven reservoirs operated by the Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD).
A two-mile jaunt around the lake is a good way to get acquainted with this wilderness area in the midst of suburbia.
Let your fitness level be your guide as the views unfold. It's easy to get lost on the web of trails and fire roads above the lake, so remember to bring a trail map and plenty of water for you and your pet.
All trails are open to leashed dogs, and you'll share some of them with cyclists and equestrians.
Be careful not to cross into the adjacent state park, where dogs are not allowed.
There is an entrance fee to this area; in 2012 it was $8 per vehicle. Be aware that MMMWD rules prohibit dogs from swimming or drinking from lakes or streams in the Mount Tamalpais watershed.
Directions to the Bon Tempe trailhead:
• Take Highway 101 to the San Anselmo/Sir Francis Drake exit and go west on Drake to the town of Fairfax. Turn left on Pastori, make an immediate right onto Broadway and a left on Bolinas. At 700 Bolinas Road there is a wooden sign on your left saying “Lake Lagunitas.” Make that left turn onto Sky Oaks Road. At the crest of the hill you'll see Sky Oaks Watershed Headquarters. In a little less than half a mile you'll see the sign for Bon Tempe. Turn right and park in the first lot.
Help us keep this trail beautiful and dog-friendly:
• Always follow the posted rules as they may have changed
• If in off-leash area, keep your dog under voice command
• Respect and protect wildlife and habitats
• Pack in and pack out, leaving only paw prints
dog-friendly, hike, trails, lake, Marin County, Marin Municipal Water District, MMWD,