Spring is just around the corner and judging from the number of DogTrekkers checking out our California event listings on DogTrekker.com and our mobile app, it would appear that travel planning has begun. Here is a partial list of upcoming events where you and your pup can have lots of tail-waggin’ fun.
1. Love Your Pet Expo 2018, Anderson, March 24-25: Love Your Pet Expo is a pet-friendly community event where pets can bring their two-legged friends to be educated in pet safety, nutrition, heartworm disease, vaccinations, and the importance of spay and neuter.
Corgi Beach Day
2. Spring 2018 Corgi Beach Day, Huntington Beach, April 7: SoCal Corgi Nation sponsors Corgi Beach Day for Corgi canines and their guests at Huntington Dog Beach. Whether you are a Corgi owner or just a doggie lover, this day promises to be PAW-some!
3. Eleventh Annual DogFest, San Francisco, April 7: DogFest is a celebration of dogs and kids benefiting SFUSD McKinley Elementary School, a K-5 public school at Castro and 14th Streets. The festival offers something for dogs, kids and parents of both species.
4. Spring Dog Fling, Huntington Beach, April 14: 5th & PCH is proudly partnering with Waggin' Trails Rescue Foundation featuring dog adoptions, products and services to pamper and care for your dog, including day care, walking services, portraits and more.
5. Doggie Dash – 5k/10k for a Cause, Huntington Beach, April 15: Sign up for this great cause and bring your four-legged family member with you. As long as your dog is leashed and remains on the designated path, she can participate in this event.
Tailwags and Handbags
6. Pets Lifeline Tailwags and Handbags, Sonoma, April 27: This wonderfully whimsical event at Buena Vista Winery is the quintessential ladies' luncheon. It’s an excellent opportunity to sip, sup and shop to benefit Pets Lifeline. Sorry, this is a people-only event.
7. Sacramento SPCA 2018 Doggy Dash, Sacramento, April 28: Join the fun at William Land Park for the largest fundraiser of the year and an opportunity to celebrate the healthy, happy and unconditional relationships between pups and their people.
Pet Day on the Bay
8. 18th Annual Pet Day on the Bay, San Diego, April 28: Hornblower invites your dog to cruise with you for free during the popular Pet Day on San Diego Bay, a fundraiser benefiting the homeless animals of the Helen Woodward Animal Center.
9. Sausalito Wag Dog Festival, Sausalito, May 12: Join in on the fun at the second annual Wag. Participate in "best of" contests (wag, bark, trick, etc.) and human/dog obstacle courses. Also visit Marin’s top animal service providers and rescues.
10. Fifth Annual Pints for Paws, Berkeley, June 2: Come sample a selection of nearly 100 craft beers from more than 20 craft breweries and have a great time while benefiting Berkeley Humane. Enjoy live music and bring your crowd-friendly dogs (harnessed of course).
Ryder - Photo Courtesy: Aussie Rescue SoCal
Ryder had a good start in life with a caring owner, but things took a quick turn for the worse when his owner died. A family member took Ryder and the other dogs, but proceeded to ignore and neglect them until he himself was evicted and the dog were homeless, in bad shape and under socialized after a couple of years of little human contact.
Luckily, Aussie Rescue SoCal stepped in, as they've done for so many of the area's other Aussies in need. The other dogs found new homes pretty quickly, but shy, starved and matted Ryder needed some R&R, to say nothing of TLC. And food. He got plenty of all those things in the foster home, where he's become a happy dog in search of his own place. more »